Friday, August 31, 2012

Mediocrity with a Dash of Something Else.

Mostly, it's pretty typical for everyone, in any sort of situation they're constantly placed in, to have good days and bad days. There are awesome, energetic, I'm-totally-doing-this-for-the-rest-of-my life kinda days, and then there are those blecky, lethargic, can-I-please-just-curl-up-in-a-ball-and-sleep kinda days.
Today was totally that kind of day. It's probably the combination of it being the first day of Chinese school, and my inability to shake this headache, that made it that way.
Definitely, those kids drove me crazy today. 

But yesterday was totally not that way. Yesterday, they were adorable, eager to learn, affectionate little angels that I never wanted to leave. Let me show you. 
They drew that for me. Isn't that cute? Lately, they've really been into "surprising" me with pictures on the board. They'll kindly ask permission to use the markers on the whiteboard, and then freak out if I glance in their direction mid-creative genius. "Miss RAYNE! Don't SEE THE WHITEBOARD." 
Man, sorry. Sheesh. 

Sneaked up on them for this one, though.
After they were finished, and I gave them the appropriate appreciative response, one of the girls asked me to kneel down near her desk, close my eyes, and give her my hand. I obliged, and I felt her drawing something on the palm of my hand. There were seven little bodies crowded around me, pressing their cheeks against mine, and wrapping their arms around my waist, as my palm was being decorated. When the artistic piece was finished, I was allowed to open my eyes, and saw that "We love you so much!" was written on my palm in sparkly ink. 
Is this what being loved unconditionally feels like? Because I swear, all I do is make mistakes.
But it turns out that they're cool with those, too, actually; and do their best to help out where I fall short. One of my cute little students, knowing how prone to forgetfulness I am, thoughtfully provided me with a note, mentioning all the things I needed to do and bring for class the next day.
These kids, man. I just really like them.

1 comment: