Monday, February 20, 2012

For Sami

So, guys, funny story.
 
 

PRELUDE:  I love jewelry. I wear quite a few rings. (Four, in fact.) 

CHAPTER 1: My 9 year olds--the second graders--love to talk. About anything basically, but their favorite thing to talk about is kissing, and marriage, boyfriends, and girlfriends, and basically everything that they haven't the faintest clue about. It's cute. Mostly.

CHAPTER 2: My kids, for the longest time, didn't know the word for "marriage." When they were telling me funny story about crazy people getting married, they would stand their index and middle fingers on the table, both hands next to each other, and burst out The Bridal March: "dum DUM dah-dum, dum DUM da-dum!"
So, I taught them about about marriage. I taught them the word "married," I taught them how you can tell if someone is married, and I taught them what finger the ring goes on. Go me! I still get a little flutter of pride every time they use the term "get married" in their stories. I taught them that, I think, I'm so awesome.

 CHAPTER 3: Whenever they get bored with telling the stories, I become the story. This time, they noticed my rings. One of the girls had a stroke of brilliance, ran up to my desk, grabbed my hands, took off all my rings, and stuck EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM on my left hand ring finger. 
The response from the rest of the class? 
"MISS RAYNE'S MARRIED! MISS RAYNE'S MARRIED! MISS RAYNE'S MARRIED! MISS RAYNE, YOU'RE MARRIED!"
Then, another student, in a flash of genius, ran to my desk, and counted the rings on my left hand ring finger. One, two, three, four. The conclusion:
"EVERYBODY! MISS RAYNE HAS SIX BOYFRIENDS!" 
(They counted a couple rings twice in all the excitement.)

Today, they completed the ensemble by placing the lace scarf I was wearing around my head like a veil, braiding my hair, and telling me that the boy I marry will have yellow hair, green eyes, no glasses, and be very tall.

CONCLUSION: My kids are way too awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I love this times a thousand! I miss those kids so much.

    ReplyDelete