Monday, January 9, 2012

Are You Staring at Me Because I'm Foreign, or Because I'm Pretty?




This is my Downtime Day. (Hence the outfit.) I only have one class today, and it's at 6:50 tonight. I have stuff to do, you know: lesson planning, grocery shopping, movie downloading... but here I am.

It is winter here. It is NOT cold outside. Wood buildings do not exist here. Just concrete buildings. I live in a concrete building. The thing about concrete buildings is, they keep in the air--whether it's warm or cold, regardless of the temperature outside. Ergo, it's always cold inside. It doesn't help, of course, that the windows are ALWAYS open, NO MATTER WHAT. It's raining? The window's open. It's windy? The window's open. It's humid? The window's open. Fresh air, you know. It does you good. All the time.

Oh, and no central heating. Just. You know.

My favorite current thing to do: buy unfamiliar familiar things. Being true to my college days, I really really wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich the other day. I didn't have peanut butter, or jelly, so I went to a corner, out of the way store (my uncle was actually looking for shortening, which you can't really find here), and I happened upon original "product of Taiwan" peanut butter and jelly. They were both in cans--those metal things, you know, that refried beans come in. So I BOUGHT THEM. I was SO excited to try these unfamiliar familiar things. I seriously had to open the can of jam with a can opener, and was just so excited to have jam that eating it was more of a pleasure because I was EATING it, not because it was necessarily good.

Today, I finally had my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. And, upon closer inspection, the peanut butter tastes rather like Reese's peanut butter from the cups (not that I'm complaining), and the jam is basically strawberry-ish, sugared jelly. My favorite.

But, I bought a can, so I'll be eating it, with a smile on my face, dangit.

Actually, I kind of want a pb&j for dinner, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment